Saturday, February 28, 2015

Pirates Sets Review

I bought two Pirates sets recently, 70410 Soldiers Outpost and 70412 Soldiers Fort.  As I bought them together, and they are designed to go together, I thought I would review them together.


Here we have 70412 Soldiers Fort.  Five minifigures, two frogs, a boat, two stud shooters, and a working cannon. I need to improve my photography.
From left to right- Angry Eyepatch Pirate, Pirate whose face was stolen from Pharoah's Quest,  the Govenor, a Soldier, and the Governor's sword-wielding daughter, who is obviously a knockoff Elizabeth Swann.  The govenor has an awesome beard, and is probably the best of the five.
Here's the build.  It doesn't take all that long, nor is it that challenging.  On the other hand, it's extremely large for only thirty dollars.  It's obviously intended for younger audiences, and has several features,  I mentioned the working cannon and stud shooters, but  there's also a working crane for hoisting the treasure chest included with the set, and one wall of the prison is removable, though it doesn't work that well. The bent design of the palm tree works the best, and there's two frogs as well, which is completely awesome.   Overall, the set by itself gets a 8/10 from me.   It's simple, and needs Elizbeth Swann replaced with another soldier. However, it's also very large and cheap, and has a lot of minifigures.


Soldiers Outpost
This set retails for $20.00.  

It's got an awesome raft, though I'm not as fond of the mast, which is actually a tattered cape.  The fort, which features a cannon and a treasure chest, is slightly unimpressive.  It does come with a crab piece, which I appreciate, as well as a giant octopus.
There's a soldier, a pirate, and an officer. The officer is definitely the best minifigure.  By itself, I give this set an 8/10, mostly for value... and:



The two sets clip together, and together get an 8/8.  Alright, time to run off and play Minecraft.

2 comments: